10/10/2006

Kannon with 1000 Arms

[ . BACK to DARUMA MUSEUM TOP . ]
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Kannon Bosatsu with 1000 Arms,
Senju Kannon 千手観音

This is a very rare example of a fine statue outside, in the Garden of Temple Ohirayama, Konpira-In at Kurayoshi, October 2006.





Look at the 11 heads and the crown.
Juuichimen Kannon 十一面観音





Detail of the 1000 arms (usually 42 of them are depicted)




Arms of the right side




Arms of the left side




More about
Temple Ohirayama, Konpira-In at Kurayoshi


:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Temple Entsuu-Ji, Kagamino Choo, Okayama prefecture

In the temple is a walk with small statues of the Shikoku pilgrimage to the 88 temples. This is one of the replicas in stone.



Stone Kannon with 1000 Arms

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


. Senjuji 千手寺 Senju-Ji .
Kameoka, Kyoto
Tokonagesan Senjuji 獨鈷抛山千手寺 Mount Tokonage-San, Senju-Ji
This Kannon Statue was carved by Kobo Daishi Kukai.

There are other temples called 千手寺.
Mie, Okayama . . .


- - - - - Mie
千手寺 / 曹洞宗 Soto Zen
三重県津市安濃町前野24 / 24 Anōchō Maeno, Tsu-shi, Mie

専修寺 高田山 Takadayama - Takada Honzan 真宗 Shin sect
2819 Isshindencho, Tsu, Mie

- quote -
Mie Prefecture's Biggest Buddhist Temple
Just 5 minutes walk from the JR Isshinda Station in Tsu City, and directly east of the Kintetsu Takadahonzan Station is the largest Buddhist temple in Mie Prefecture, the Senjuji. Surrounded by high earthen walls, with an impressive set of gates and the distinctive Taikomon bell tower’s gabled roofs, the temple looks more like a small castle than a place of worship. Listed as an Important Cultural asset, and boasting a 725 tatami mat floor space, the main worship hall is the largest wooden structure in the prefecture. The temple was founded by the great monk Shinran Shonin in 1226, and was the chief temple of the Takada branch of the Jodo Shinshu sect of Buddhism. The temples name “Senju” was taken from the sects’ prayer chant, senju-nenbutsu (Mindfulness of the Buddha) although it is also known as the Takada Honzan.
In 1477,
the temple was designated an official Imperial temple, and elevated in status again 100 years later to that of Monzeki, being a temple headed by priests of imperial or aristocratic lineage.
Of the 12 main structures
in the temple complex, seven are registered as Prefectural Cultural Assets. The first to gain your attention is the main Sanmon Gate, an impressive 20 meter wide, 15.5 meter high built in 1704. Entry through the magnificent structure takes you into the 10,750 square meters of grounds.
Directly ahead
is the 42 meter wide sacred hall, Mieido, dating from 1666. Inside is a most impressive sight, starting with the huge wooden pillars and interlocking cross beams, the white painted edging of each beam is in stark contrast with the color of the aged timbers and darkness of the ceiling. However, it is the inner sanctum that is truly marvelous! Gold leaf adorns the pillars, while the roof is a mosaic of brilliant blues and greens like the tail of a peacock. Behind the red clothed alter on a black lacquered base sits a brilliant golden pavilion surrounded by a bright red parapet.
Completed in the 1740’s,
the twin roofed Nyorai-do’s first focal points are the complex array of roof trusses supporting the upper level. As with the inside, the edging of the woodwork is painted white, contrasting with the older darker timbers. Inside, while not as elegant or as colorful as the more important Mieido, there’s still enough gold and fancy ornamentation to keep you gazing in awe.
Treasures of the Senjuji
include a wooden statue of the temples’ founder, Shinran seated with prayer beads in hands. The scroll, “A record of Shinrans’ Dream” is also preserved at the temple, along with other national treasures and important cultural assets.
Behind the Sacred Hall
is a lotus pond and a winding stone path leads you through a beautiful moss garden called Unyu-en. Within the moss garden is a traditional tea house named Anraku-an, which was relocated to the Senjuji from the remains of Fushimi Castle following the castle’s destruction in the Battle of Sekigahara in 1600. Visitors wishing to see the Houmotsukan treasure house and inside the tea house are asked to contact the Senjuji Temple in advance.
- source : en.japantravel.com Chris Glenn -



- - - - - Okayama
千手寺 - 真言宗寺院 Shingoon
岡山県岡山市北区大内田581 / 581 Ōuchida, Kita-ku, Okayama
- - - - - HP of the temple
- source : senjyuji.web.fc2.com-

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Kannon Bosatsu
Read Mark Schumacher with all the Details !


:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

[ . BACK to DARUMA MUSEUM TOP . ]
[ . BACK to WORLDKIGO . TOP . ]

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1 comment:

Gabi Greve - Darumapedia said...

Kannon Bosatsu 観音菩薩
.
Introduction